Democracy and EU enlargement in the Western Balkans: Can there be one without the other?
Analysis (Regional Youth Compact for Europe project)
Author: Nikola Burazer, European Western Balkans
"There has been much debate about the state of democracy in the world in recent years. While there have been improvements in the levels of democracy in certain parts of the world, global trends have largely been negative. Not only that international indexes which measure levels of democracy have shown steady global decline in the state of democracy in the world in recent years, but also that democracy in threatened in some countries of the 'global West'. Even inside the European Union, some of its member states have suffered sharp declines in the state of democracy, a finding that correlates well with the actual state of play in EU politics, where there have been clashes around the rule of law in these countries and about the nature of core 'European values'.
As a region covered by the EU enlargement process and with declared prospects for EU membership of the countries it is comprised of, the Western Balkans finds itself in a special position." (...)
Nikola Burazer: Democracy and EU enlargement in the Western Balkans: Can there be one without the other?
This Analysis has been produced under the project Regional Youth Compact for Europe
“Regional Youth Compact for Europe” is a 3-year project implemented by the Center for Democracy Foundation and 13 other partners.
The project was financially supported by the European Union and co-financed by USAID and the Balkan Trust for Democracy.
2023-11-15 | Belgrade
- Serbia 2030 - Many challenges, little time: Is Serbia set on its development path?
- NCEU Recommendations 2023
- SDGs for All Platform newsletter (September 2023)
- POLITEIA Regional School for Youth Participation 2023 (leaflet)
- SDGs for All Platform newsletter (June 2023)
- Regional Youth Dialogue for Europe (leaflet)
- Poverty Projections for Older Persons
- The Impact of the Global Crisis on Vulnerable Groups
- Improving the Lives of Marginalised Groups
- The Tool For The Introduction Of The ‘Leave No One Behind’ Principle Into Legislative And Strategic Acts Of The Republic Of Serbia
- Easy Handbook to Support Professionals in working with Marginalised Groups
- User manual: How to Find a Job?
- Analysis: Elderly poverty in Serbia and Agenda 2030 (Summary)
- Closing Conference of the SDGs for All Platform - Recommendations
- Analysis: Child Poverty and the 2030 Agenda (Summary)
- Energy Poverty Analysis (Summary)
- Analysis of the Gender Mainstreaming in the Economic Reform Programme for the period 2022-2024 (summary)
- Publication: Social Impact of Public Policies